Session 3 Review
Congratulations! You’ve completed Session 3 of the Web Support Project, focusing on safety. You can’t change or predict the actions of a person with dementia, so it is important to evaluate safety around you.Have you started carrying a medication card that lists all of your loved one’s medications? Great!
- Do you know what these medications are used for? Remember some medications react poorly in adults with dementia!
- Have you discussed all medications (old and new) with the provider and pharmacist?
- Take a walk through your home and make a list of anything that can cause a person to fall or trip. Consider making changes.
- Are all guns, alcohol, flammables, medications, etc. locked away?
- What are you currently doing for fire safety? Are the smoke detectors working? Do you own a fire extinguisher?
- Are you using non-skid matts in the bathroom and shower to prevent falls?
- Has your loved one with dementia started to wander about aimlessly? Consider putting away the keys to all motor vehicles.